26 October 2010

Mad as a Cut Snake!

A stranger rang me today.  A stranger from Darwin.  The Darwin stranger rang three other people on the trail of my phone number to tell me she thought I was as mad as a cut snake! and please don't stop making cosies and did I ever make cosies without holes for the spout and handle because they would make excellent beanies without holes and it was the best tea cosy book she had ever read and she agreed that tea cosies should be lined otherwise they were only half a tea cosy and she hoped that I took it as a compliment that 'mad as a cut snake' was a compliment and she had won the very first cosy competition at the Alice Springs Beanie Festival but that it wasn't nearly as good as mine and though she didn't use tea cosies there was no need in Darwin she really loved Modern Primitive and hurry up with book three and well that was all.

I LOVE presents.  Yes I do.  And today's phone call - well what a beautiful present.  Crazy but beautiful.  I'm not sure I responded in quite the right way.  I was a bit taken aback to find the stranger, in all her exuberance, on the end of my private mobile phone.  I was very glad that she was not a tele marketer, but not glad enough for her gift of joy in my funny old cosies.

...the way I am filled to the brim by the gifts that come by the more conventional email and the comments left here.

...and well that was all.

My garden:  the Australian native bottle brush and the exotic mulberry.  A poor man's berry to some.  Exotic to me.  And a childhood memory of Great Auntie Alma and her big old mulberry planted in my very own back yard.

13 comments:

Kate said...

Ahhh. Memories of purple fingers, purple lips and that slightly queasy feeling of "was that a grub in the last mulberry"?
Excellent food for silk worms too (the leaves that is, not the grubs)

Notjustnat said...

I thought you are a little crazy too, the teacosy that is crazy!!! Did I hear book three?

Ms. Kimba said...

Here in the Us Mulberry trees are everywhere. Nobody ever ate the berries from the bushes, but my friends and I did. Now...? Nobody bothers to eat them at all and I don't know why.

NessaKnits said...

Got to love a call from Darwin! She wanted you to feel the love.

My son at kindy at the moment has silkworms and I am sure if we had a mulberry tree within cooee, we would have silkworms all over the house. They are making cocoons at the moment and he is just loving it!

Chrisy said...

Yes well I can understand you being taken aback with the phone call...know I would've been...but darling, as the queen of the tea cosies, you have to learn to deal with fans!

Anonymous said...

Weellll l reckon you would be as mads as a cut snake if you dont have a sox-a-thon knitting wkend in 2011.AT the Nundle Woollen Mill... Well yes l do..l am going to the GORGEOUS YUMMY Nundle Woollen Mill this Sat coming to buy some more Sock wool plus other yummy colours to keep my bins full to the brim .. Getting back to the teacosys without holes..My grandad always wore a teacosy of Grandmas on his head..He was slightly as mad as a cut snake too. Luv, Hahnsmum.. of Oz..

lilly piri said...

Haha, well that's something pretty special, she went to quite an effort to track you down! We had mulberry bushes at Harte St - they're the taste of my early childhood.

The Duck Herder said...

heehee. you have FANS Ms GPB. They will go to GREAT lengths to find ways to tell you how awesome you are.

thats because you rock.

xxxxxx

Jejune said...

Hmm, yes, I'd have been taken aback at a stranger getting my mobile number too! But glad she was so enthusiastic - mad as a cut snake is definitely quite some epithet!

Stafford Ray said...

Gotta agree, GPB is AMAaCS!

Knit 'n' Stitch said...

Thank goodness for persistence otherwise you would never have received such a great phone call.

Your garden must be so lovely. You have me trying to work out how I might squeeze a mulberry into my small backyard. It already has quince, crab apple, pomegranate, fig and pistachio trees along with current, gooseberry and blueberry bushes. Hmmmm maybe I could have a mulberry tree instead of a clothesline - YEAH that would work lols

jwami said...

My big mulberry memory is of Aunt Erma's garden... Isn't it amazing, the similarities, despite all these thousands of miles and a big ocean apart!

grrl + dog said...

mulberry jam anyone?

How nice to get such a gush call from someone who truly loves

loves loves your work..