BIG lives.


Before Christmas I pontificated very seriously about circles and blogging, for some of my blogging friends were doubting the value of their bloggy friendships and the point of blogging at all.  It seems to be a common question that arises for bloggers when their life gets BIG.

My own life has been BIG since about October last year.  It is about to get even BIGGER. But though it is my story, it is NOT my story to tell.  It belongs to someone else, close, very close, and it is his to tell - or not.

The point being that when life gets BIG (read 'hard' 'frightening' 'crap'), one doubts the meaning of all the little things - like blogging about knitting for God's sake.


Don't you just hate that.  Someone tells you that there is something BIG to tell but then doesn't tell it.  I HATE that.  Why say anything at all?  Why not just pretend that all is fabbo?  I think I speak here now, not for the friendly strangers, but rather for the strange friends, the friends who might wonder at how she can continue her knitty frivolity when all that scary shit is going down.


But it is all the little things that buoy me. It is all the little things that keep me sane.  There is so much joy and hope in all the little things.  Here, at my blog, I want to remain joyous and frivolous and hopeful and relish all the little things - for the BIG things are bigger than me - but the little things....

Comments

Olix said…
too true Magoo...you could blog about all the crap there is in life...but the newspapers do that for us....the dear old Guardian was real slash your wrists stuff this week.....let's celebrate the good stuff....not to be vapid but because we need to acknowledge the bright spots in our day too...or we'd all go quite mad...it's not that I don't want to hear your crap or anything....I just like seeing your lovely stuff too.
Shell Sherree said…
Here's to joy and frivolity and hope, dear Loani. And cats.
Monika said…
Olix said it. With all the crap going on in our lives, we need to not forget the nice things in life too, even if they are little.
grrl + dog said…
I hear you.

Will knit you and your loved ones the longest ever relationship beanie knitted out of kevlar or something.

It's your own world here...
I love so much the little things you knit that you must think all the little things you can do can give lot of good moments at an other place of the world. Isn't it amazing, I can see your creations in my house in my little France?
Merci de continuer à nous faire partager tous ces petits plaisirs de la vie qui finissent par la rendre grande et belle!
Paige B said…
Hoping you don't doubt the HUGE value of your own "little" blog and the delicious creations of colour and form contained therein. It/you provide HUGE joy and comfort for thousands of people all over the world in their times of hideousness. You know as the rest of us do, that sometimes in the midst of the worst scenarios ever, the only thin connection to sanity is in knitting a tea cosy.
Chrisy said…
oh yes...thank you darling for taking the time to post and for your insights...little things really are the big things aren't they...my love to you...
theemutsfeest said…
To make another person smile, is giving the other one a glimpse of paradise.....teacosies can do that, so can happy pictures. Small, light things make you lighter so you won't drown....
Ms Bubblefish said…
I suspect that the 'only' thing one can do is keep slogging away, one foot after the other. I just found out last week that I have a week's worth of tests in Sydney early July. 'Just making sure' they say. So I carried on, then got back to knitting a sock. At least with knitting, you generally can be sure of how things will turn out.
BIG hug xx
lynne h said…
great post, loani...

bloggy love,

me
Stafford Ray said…
Glad you brought that up. There is scant opportuntiy to influence the big stuff. But when we can, we need to take them seriously and act appropriately. But it is the stuff in between we all do that makes life a joy or a jag.

And, I might add, you don't just knit stuff, you knit people together. I'd say that's big enough.
mem said…
There's always big stuff happening somewhere to someone. It gets overwhelming. So the small stuff helps to get you out from under it all. I love small stuff - it's saved my sanity.
sue said…
There is so much stuff going on in the world that isnt nice, but it is nice to have bloggy friends who can share in your joys and love of craft and family that it makes you realise the world can be a loving place. I think it is great that you have decided to share the joys on your blog even if they arent huge. The saying does go "appreciate the little things in life" which is so true. Oh I sent you my details too, hope you got my email okay.
Anonymous said…
Ray just said you knit people together, very true..And hey- we all dont want or need any more crap in our lives. l come in here to escape the stress of every day crappy things..So keep blogging away Kid, you is a star & the brightest star l know.. Lotsa luv from Hahnsmum & Paulie James of Bingara..

Popular posts from this blog

Owl Tea Cosy

Trucker's Blankie